Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Stockpiling: A basic guide

I have had a few emails with questions about stockpiling. So, I thought this would be a good topic to blog about. Stockpiling is taking your sales and storing them long term. Recently, if you look at my shopping trips, I have been doing A LOT of stockpiling. I know over the summer, when I am off of work, money will be tight. My husband may or may not have a job by then so I want to make sure I am well stocked.

I bought 8 deodorants my last trip. They don't have expiration dates, but most of those items don't lose their potency for a long time. I typically go through one every 4 to 6 weeks. So I could have deodorant for up to 4 months or so before I have to buy more. I know that another sale will be along in that time frame so I am set. I actually right now have about 6 months worth of deodorant in stockpile.

Here is a photo of my bathroom cabinet.


I have enough toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorant, fluoride rinse, dental floss, shampoo, conditioner, bar soap, body wash, razors, lotion, men's body wash, Bandaids, maxi pads, Qtips, and hand soap to last about 6 to 8 months. I understand that sounds like a lot and some people don't like having that much stuff in the house; but this is what works for my family. I have paid next to nothing for most of this stuff.

When you find a clearance and you have coupons to match, buy what you can use for 3 to 6 months (depending on your storage). I bought those deodorant because they were on sale for $1.00 and I had 50 cent coupons that doubled. I had six coupons. If it just happens that I don't like them, I can give away the unused ones to a shelter or something. BUT, I am not brand specific and I typically can use just about anything.

Also, when you shop, have all your coupons with you. NOTHING drives me as crazy as seeing a clearance or sale and my coupons are AT HOME. Stockpiling takes organization and time. At first your stockpile will seem like miscellaneous piles, but it will end up being like a mini store that you can shop at when money is low.

Most of my food stockpile includes canned goods and frozen food. I also stockpile milk by buying it in bags and freezing it. You can freeze milk. Homogenized milk can be frozen up to six months. Sometimes the water can separate but it's still safe to drink. We go through milk so fast that we don't have it in stockpile 6 months. Typically I buy 8 to 10 bags at a time and we go through that in about 6 weeks. I also buy ground turkey, it's healthier and cheaper than ground beef and can be frozen for up to one year! We are still eating ground turkey from our big shopping trip in February. We have plenty of turkey frozen.

You can stockpile food and drinks, health and beauty items, clothing, cleaning supplies, etc.

I hope this answers some of your questions! PM me with more!

No comments:

Frugalmommie as been on WITI FoxNews6 Television Milwaukee, WTMJ620 Radio, Several local newspapers, The Wisconsin State Journal, and is in a feature article in All You Magazine in the April 2009 edition.