Saturday, September 5, 2009

Fun Frugal Day!

Well, I ran some errands and overall it was a great frugal day.

First, We made more applesauce. While that was going on, I got 3 loads of laundry hung on the lines. :)

Then, we ran my son to a birthday party. While he was there, we stopped at a rummage sale. Spent $1.60 on 8 kids books, Magic School bus video, a sweatshirt, 2 free toys and 2 small doilies ( don't know if that is spelled right!).

Then we ran to Walgreens and to Kmart ( last double coupon day!)

Walgreens
Transaction one:
Again they had some 75% clearance, so I got a few things.
Take the Train Game
4 packs of Stickers
1 Lisa Frand sticker and tattoo box.
Total before clearance prices: $9.94
Total after RR's: $1.21

Transaction Two:
Aquafresh Toothpaste, I used a IP coupon from Red Plum, Got an RR back
Sensodyn Childrens Toothpaste, I had a IP coupon from Red Plum and the Sept. Coupon book from Walgreens has another $2.00 off IVC
Reach Toothbrush, Used a .50 cent off coupon, Got an RR back
Total: $11.27
Total after Coupons: $7.39, I got $3.50 back in RR's.

KMart
Transaction one:
2 Rimmel Mascaras, Used the $2.00 coupon in Sunday Paper
1 VO5 Shampoo, used Kmart Special Coupon
2 Men's Pert Shampoo, Used $1.50 coupon from Sunday Paper
2 packages of Ziploc Bags, Used 55 cents off from Sunday Paper
3 packs of Chinet Plates, Used $2.00 off coupon from Sunday Paper
1 Cocoa Krispies, Used an IP coupon from bettycrocker.com
Total before coupons: $32.39
Total after double coupons: $1.06

Transaction two:
Flour sifter ( $2.00 on clearance and I have been looking for one! YEAH!)
Batter Bowl (.90 cents on clearance and we have wanted one of these too!)
1 bottle of clean and clear toner, $2.00 off IP Coupon from Coupons.com
2 Ziploc Sandwich Bag boxes, 55 cent off coupons from Sunday Paper
2 packages of Good Night Boxer Pants, on sale $9.99 and I got $2.00 off coupons from ?? (don't remember)
Cute Pair of Shoes for my daughter, $2.99!
Total: $38.36
Total: $18.49 after double coupons.

While we were at Kmart, My husband got his medication refilled. We had a transfer coupon so we got a $25.00 gift card for the transfer. I will save that for Christmas shopping. :)

4 comments:

Jess said...

Hey Angie! Do you get more than one newspaper to get all these coupons? I've been thinking to get two Sunday papers but my hubby thinks it wouldn't be worth the money. I made him come double-coupon shopping with me last week so he could see the impact of savings!

Frugalmommie said...

HI JESS!! I miss ya! How are you??

Anyways..the question. I get 2 papers, One Milwaukee Journal or Wisconsin State Journal. And one Walworth County Gazette. That way I get different ads and all the coupons out of both. Then, My MIL gives me her paper each week. Also, the ladies from my former church save all there coupons and give them to me about once a month. I also sometimes pick up coupons from my mom too. This gives me about 5 to 6 coupons of each coupon. If, for some reason, I find a really good coupon that I really want, I may go to the gas station and buy one or 2 more papers, but that is rare. Also, when I order the newspaper for delivery, I don't buy it right away. I tell them to call me when they have a promotion or sale. Typically they call back quickly and offer me a deal. Then, I tell them if I buy 2 years inside of 1 year can I get a better deal. Almost every time I have done this, I have gotten a good deal. :)

IP coupons I can print up to 4. Two from my computer, 2 from my husband's computer. When I pick up tear pads or wine tags, I limit myself to 3 or 4.

Hopefully that answers your question. Let me know if it doesn't.

Jess said...

Thanks, I have been telling all my friends/family how to use their coupons better(and direct them to your site! and some of the newsletters like CommonSenseWithMoney) so they are not likely to part with their coupons! I'll call the WSJ and check on a double Sunday paper rate. And hit up people to save them for me! Thanks for the response . . . I just went to Walgreen's and got some stuff for Christmas (those great Glade candle offers) - you inspired me to get moving for Christmas! Argh I got out of there though and then noticed that I didn't get all the RRs that were on the shelf tag, has this happened to you? I probably should have went back but then I figured maybe I didn't get the RRs because I used a coupon to bring the sale price of $5.99 down to $2.99. The RR would have been another $2. What do you think?

Jess
www.foreverfamilyoffour.blogspot.com

Frugalmommie said...

I know this isn't the case with every town, but if your family already uses their coupons, maybe your towns recycling day can help. Not in the town I live in now, but in the town I lived in before, people put there newspapers in a blue recycle bin on garbage day. I would take my kids in the stroller and walk around, I would see newspapers and pick them up. Most of the time there would be coupons in them.

Also, ALWAYS check for the ALL YOU Magazine at your Walmarts. All You magazine typically has higher value coupons.

As far as getting your RR's. Typically, if you don't catch it right away, it's hard to prove you didn't get them. So, try to take care of it at the transaction. Also, if you don't take them and they spit out, the cashier is suppose to rip them up and throw them away, but I have heard stories about cashiers pocketing them for themselves. So, always make sure you leave with the RR's you are suppose to have. YOU can use coupons and still get the RR's. If a cashier tells you different, they are wrong. :)

Keep in touch Jess, I love hearing about what others are doing to keep their spending down!

Angie

Frugalmommie as been on WITI FoxNews6 Television Milwaukee, WTMJ620 Radio, Several local newspapers, The Wisconsin State Journal, and is in a feature article in All You Magazine in the April 2009 edition.