Sunday, March 6, 2011

Dealing with cashiers...not always a fun experience!

Today, I had to call the corporate office of Walgreens. I don't like doing it but I was basically told at Walgreens today that my coupons would not be honored. The cashier was nice enough but when the register wouldn't accept the coupon ( it was scannable but the register wouldn't take it), she got the assistant manager who tried to do the same thing and the computer/register would not accept the coupons. Now, from my couponing experience, I know you can over ride the computers. I also know that this assistant manager was "playing dumb" because she acted like I had no idea what I was talking about when I said you can override the computer because the coupons qualify for the product. She left me with the choice of buying the product outright or leaving without. I decided to leave without my products. As soon as I got to the car, I pulled out my Walgreens coupon policy, read it to make sure I was in the right, then called corporate. The corporate office said that they would contact me in two business days to settle the matter. I am  now waiting to see what happens.

Dealing with managers and cashiers can be fusterating sometimes. I have had my share of battles, but I have won almost every time. Coupons are like cash! The stores get reimbursed. So, if you are honoring the coupons limits, expiration dates and the stores coupon policies, there should be no reason that you shouldn't get the deal.  I am surprised by how many stores give couponers a hard time! Why? We bring you LOTS of business and buy tons of products from you. I also am surprised by how often the cashiers act like we are stealing from them! For new couponers, this is tough to deal with! Trust me, you are not stealing! Again, you are use the coupons within the rules, then you are getting good deals and using your good sense to gain those good deals,  you are doing NOTHING wrong!!

So, tips for dealing with the cashiers.
1. Stay calm, Stay firm. You can't win the battle if you behave in a disorderly manner.
2. Reread the coupon for the cashier, show them what you bought and reaffirm that you have the right items.
3. If they still refuse, you need to make a decision. Is it worth the fight to get the store manager? Most of the time I say yes, I will go to the store manager.
4. If the store manager is no help, contact the corporate office. They don't want to hear that you were not helped in a manner that shows good customer service. Again, be polite, stay calm and stay firm. You attract more flys with honey than with vinegar!
5. Seek a resolution. Decide, once you call corporate, what will make the situation better. I always have a "goal" when I call the corporate office. My goal could be " I want an apology from the manager and for them to accept the coupons". Understand that you shouldn't let them know this until they ask. WHY? Because their solution to the situation MAY BE better than your goal. Last time I had a problem at Kmart, I called corporate and explained. I got a $25.00 gift card and an apology! That was more than I was hoping for!
6. Finally, if the situation is not resolved, you have a decision to make. You can let it go or try to contact corporate again for an explaination. I have actually boycotted stores due to poor service and I have used this blog and other platforms to let people know what stores to shop at.

Each situation is different and you have to look at it on a case by case basis, but most of the time, cashier issues can be dealt with quickly without much hassle. How can you prevent coupon issues at the check out? Make sure you have a copy of the coupon policy, and if you know of a cashier that is good, pick that lane!
 

No comments:

Frugalmommie as been on WITI FoxNews6 Television Milwaukee, WTMJ620 Radio, Several local newspapers, The Wisconsin State Journal, and is in a feature article in All You Magazine in the April 2009 edition.