Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Why do cashiers have to be so difficult??? A Walgreens Story

I spent the day home sick today. I have a head cold that is also in my chest. So, I am not in the best of moods. :( Despite this, I ran to Walgreens today to pick up the cracker deal. I had to pick up my son from school, so why not just stop by quick? Well, what was suppose to be a quick run inside, ended up taking over 25 minutes due to the fact that the cashier and assistant manager had to give me a hard time about the coupons.

Now, understand, my neighborhood Walgreens is typically fabulous! They have an employee there named Lisa who is great at helping me find my baragins and suggesting other sale items. But, today was just not acceptable. Of Course, I made the mistake of checking out without using Lisa.

I quickly got my 4 boxes of crackers, 5 packages of Oscar Mayer Snack Packs, and 2 Butterfinger Snackerz. When I got to the register, I let 2 people behind me go first because one had a bag of cough drops and the other one a soda, I never want people behind me "stuck" because of couponing. Then when it was my turn, I went over to the cashier and asked her if I needed to do seperate transactions because I was doing 2 of the cracker deal. She said no.

So I bought
2 boxes of Ritz ( I had 2 $1.00 off coupons, and the IVC coupon from Walgreens)
1 box of Triscuits ( I had 1 $1.00 off coupon)
1 box of Wheat Thins (I had 1 $1.00 off coupon)
5 packs of the Oscar Mayer Snack Packs ( I had 5 $1.00 off coupons)
2 Butterfinger Packs (I had the BOGO IP Coupon)

The computer allowed the butter finger coupon, first 3 cracker coupons, and the first 2 oscar mayer coupons. Then it beeped and wouldn't allow any more. We checked all the coupons. She then told me I had to have a coupon for each item and no extra coupons. I showed her that I didn't have extra coupons. She said I was right and she brought another cashier over, who couldn't figure it out either. So, finally they called an assistant manager. Assistant Manager came over and looked at it and said that I couldn't use the IVC with the Manufactures. Which I told her was inaccurate and that an IVC was a store coupon. She said using the IVC would have been coupon fraud ( WHENEVER A MANAGER USES THAT WITH ME I GET MY DANDER UP!) I explained again that the store coupon and the manufactures coupon. Then she said she would void the transaction and start again. Which she did and the coupons beeped again and she told me she couldn't accept the coupons. I asked her why she couldn't accept a coupon that is just like the 3 coupons that were accepted right before the one that didn't work. She then said that she wouldn't be able to use the cracker coupon because I would be getting the crackers free and they were already on sale. I stated that was incorrect also because the crackers were 2/$5.00, minus the IVC $1.00 off, making the crackers 2/$4.00, then my 2 $1.00 off coupons, which would make the crackers 2 for $2.00 ( or $1.00 a box). She again stated that she wouldn't allow it. I said,"Fine, thank you. I will go to the Fort Atkinson Walgreens then." and I gathered my coupons up and started to get ready to leave. She then said,"Well, let me see the coupons again." and then "magically" got them to work. Looked at me and said,"I just had to use a different code to force them in."  WHAT?? I am standing there coughing and I have a fever and you, Miss Assistant Manager, took all that time, when all along you could have "magically" put the coupons through with a "different code"?

I would NEVER INTENTIONALLY committ coupon fraud, it goes against my personal christian beliefs and it gives my hobby a bad name. I have missed an expiration date from time to time...which is very embrassing, but to say it would be fraud to use an IVC at a Walgreens is crazy. If you access to the  WALGREENS website...you can read this...
"MULTIPLE COUPONS
*When purchasing a single item, Walgreens accepts one manufacturer coupon and applicable Walgreens coupon(s) for the purchase of a single item, unless prohibited by either coupon offer.
*The coupon amount must be reduced if it exceeds the value of the item after other discounts or coupons are applied. (For example, a $5.00 coupon for a $4.99 item will result in a $4.99 coupon value).
*When purchasing multiple items, Walgreens accepts multiple identical coupons for multiple qualifying items as long as there is sufficient stock to satisfy other customers, unless a limit is specified. Management reserves the right to limit the quantity of items purchased. "

 I violated none of these policies. I love my Walgreens. :( I hope this doesn't happen again. I would have to pick another Walgreens store to shop at. I love the Janesville Store near SuperWalmart. Maybe I will shop there for awhile. AND, move my presciptions, once again, to Walmart.
 
On a side note, I ran into a State Politician at Walgreens who was using coupons!! WOO HOO!! I hope he is that fiscally responsible with our state money!!

No comments:

Frugalmommie as been on WITI FoxNews6 Television Milwaukee, WTMJ620 Radio, Several local newspapers, The Wisconsin State Journal, and is in a feature article in All You Magazine in the April 2009 edition.